Tuesday, April 24, 2007

New Words


Gage has gotten to a point in his life where he just about absorbs everything thrown at him. I've noticed that he will actually sit still for a minute or two and take in whatever stimuli has interested him at that point which is somewhat new. Prior to this, he never sat in one spot for longer than 5 seconds before something else grabbed his attention.
While this gives us old folk a breather, I've realized that we have to be more careful about what shows he watches and even with the language the wife and I use on a daily basis. We've gone from watching CSI and the Sopranos to the Food Network, HGTV, and PBS Sprout (Alton Brown scares the little man - go figure. But he loves Emeril, Rachel Ray, and Giada de Laurentiis). While I actually enjoy Curios George, I can't seem to get that theme song from Caillou out of my head. I even caught myself humming it a couple of nights ago. If it wasn't for the invention of the DVR, I would be hating life.
There are a million stories about the embarrasing things that kids will say and I have a couple to add to that list. It's my job to take the little man to and from my parents house on a daily basis and so we get to share a lot of car time and unfortunately, I've let a few words slip from my mouth in that time. Although I've cleaned up my language around Gage, he still throws out the F-bomb on occassion and has repeated those words in public. The last time we went to the Olive Garden (which by the way puts all of the families with younger children in one room like we have the plague or something), I had to rush Gage out because he decided to start screaming out the F-word.
He also has the bad habit of pointing out women (and some men) who are dressed in tight fitting clothes (or as we walk past Victoria's Secret) and says "Booobies" and then breaks out in laughter. Now, as good parents, we aren't supposed to laugh, but his use of this word turns me into a 12 year old. Usually, Xuanie shoots us a dirty look and I get "the talk" which tends to settle us down.
Anyway, this week has been really tough for me at work. With it being my last week at UTMB, I can't seem to find the motivation to do much of anything. The only thing that keeps me going are all of the various luncheons and happy hours planned for me. I guess I can't complain.
Let me leave you all with this - be forewarned - once you start...

No comments: